More than any other sport, biking related injuries are the most seen in emergency rooms for children ages 5 to 14. Wearing a helmet can reduce the risk of brain injury by 88 percent. Unfortunately, only 45% of children 14 and under wear a helmet.
Safe Kids Tips
- Anyone who rides a bike must always wear a helmet. As a parent, it is important to wear a helmet and set a good example for kids to follow.
- Remind your children to always ride on the far right side of the road with traffic. When turning, use the appropriate hand signals and follow the rules of the road.
- Before crossing the street with a bike, teach your child to make eye contact with the drivers to make sure they are paying attention.
- When riding at night, use lights and wear reflective materials to improve your visibility to drivers on the road.
- Supervise young children on their bikes until they are responsible and able to ride on their own.